Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Boston Pizza (Gardner's)

Inspired by the Food Networks show; Triple D (Diners, Drive-ins & Dives), we thought we'd like to embark on a quest to discover Kingston's Best Hamburger.  With no real plan in place, we went to the Boston Pizza on Gardner's Road.

Boston Pizza only has one burger on their menu and they boast a 1/2 pound prime rib patty.  We ordered one with french fries and one with caesar salad and we each had an alcoholic beverage.  At $9.95 each for the burgers, our total bill was just over $30.00 (for the two of us) with beverages & taxes.

Jo - I loved this burger - particularly the flavour of the beef patty.  The portion was huge, the condiments were fresh and the burger was delicious and juicy.  I'll let Stephen give you more details...

Stephen - We'll if you have never been to Boston Pizza, I would highly recommend it. It has a very clean, friendly and inviting atmosphere and the wait staff we've encountered so far have all been full of smiles.  Jo and I had the chance to visit a BP down east in New Brunswick and we were again impressed... great people, nice atmosphere and great food. I gotta admit though... on this visit to the Gardiners Road BP, I was expecting a run-of-the-mill "production" burger but, this was not the case at all; this burger was pretty good!
The flavour was a nice surprise for me, very juicy and well seasoned. As Jo noted in the comments section, this patty is not made fresh on site but you would never know it from the taste. We still have not put our finger on the 'secret' ingredient but can tell you that the taste was good. We think that with another visit and another taste we might be able to narrow it down. We had the burger fully dressed and I added both ketchup and mustard and the condiments were very fresh. I too found the portion was big and we shared the salad and fries. The price was pretty good when you factor in the drinks; Jo had a virgin Ceasar and I had a Corona. The atmosphere was nice and our wait staff was very friendly... in fact she gave us a lead to our next stop in our quest! Overall a very good experience, good flavours, lots of food and a great meal.

OK... yes we are Dragon's Den fans and Jim is one of our favourites, but we did not let that influence our review. Honest... we didn't!

Boston Pizza on Urbanspoon

5 comments:

  1. Update - we were able to confirm that the Boston Pizza Prime Rib burger is not hand packed. The frozen patties are made for the restaurant. Doesn't deter my (Jo's) love for this burger though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My family and I went to boston pizza last night in antigonish and my mother ordered the prime rib burger and we hated it. The flavor tasted like a meat loaf but worse , you could tell it was frozen, it was one of the worst burgers she ever ate, how hard would it be to cook with fresh meat? This was the third time we've been to boston pizza and every time it was a dissapointment and it put a bad taste in our mouths. These people should be put in jail! If i was a franchise owner I would be sceaming blue murder. They pay thousands of dollars for these franchises, and they have to sell this crap.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks morgane96 for posting your comment. It's unfortunate that your mom had a bad experience. We certainly enjoyed our burger at the Kingston location. We visited the east coast for 3 weeks this past summer and had our very first meal at a Boston Pizza in Saint John New Brunswick. We had two great entrees (seafood pasta and salad) excellent services, clean and friendly atmosphere and just an all-round great experience. Thank again for posting your comment and please drop by again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mom too found the prime rib burger to taste like meatloaf, and I too did not like it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the comment Brandee. Having experienced many more burgers in our quest I'd have to agree with you. I still like the flavour but the patty is quite processed - something I don't mind but my husband Stephen doesn't care for as he prefers the texture of a hand packed patty with less fillers - not what BP offers.

    ReplyDelete